It costs a lot to look this cheap

So, my first real content since my hiatus, and it’s not old lead.  GW’s new found ‘decency’ has taken the edge off my nostalgia and really opened my eyes to the quality of their plastic products.  This Sector Mechanicus terrain is a joy to handle.  It fits together snugly, is superbly detailed and hold’s paint like a boss.  It’s worth the mortgage on your wallet!

Anyway, here’s my journey into and beyond the Ferratonic Furnace…

Still on the sprue after a nice dose of Chaos Black spray.  GW spray is also good (I’m turning into a shill, HELP!!!)

IMG_0771.jpg

I’ve assembled the furnace and dry brushed the parts I want to have a metallic finish.  Leadbelcher and some Necron Compound edges for the silver, Balthasar Gold (it’s bronze!) and Sycorax Bronze for that big grimdark skull.

IMG_0772.jpg

After masking the metallic section, I’ve sprayed the furnace, door and top-piece (is it a ‘roof’?) with VGC Charred Brown (Rhinox Hide), VMC Amaranth Red and VMA Brown in varying concentrations.  The dereliction is starting to take shape thanks to this rusty cocktail.

I then gave the furnace and door a nice coat of hairspray, which is why it looks a little glossy in the picture

IMG_0774.jpg

My inspiration for the sickly green blue panel colour is from the industries on the Harkonnen homeworld of Giedi Prime in David Lynch’s Dune.  Unfortunately I neglected to capture an unweathered photo of it, maybe due to the beer I was drinking at the time.

This wonderful concoction is a unrepeatable mix of VMC German Uniform, VMC Light Sea Grey and VGC Glacier Blue.  I love it – but I don’t even know what to call it.

I tried to spray one even coat because the paint will tear during the weathering process if it ends up too thick.  It looks rubbish, trust me.

Anyway, I’ve been using the green kitchen scourer – a fresh one in this case to gently rub off this top coat, maybe about 15 minutes after the spray was completed.  It lets the paint cure just a little as to not come off too easily but not dry enough to make it too much work.  Dab on some water and start scratching!

IMG_0775.jpg

After removing the masking tape, I painted on some rusty streaks with a watery mix of Agrax Earthshade and Amaranth Red.  I don’t like to over do this, mostly because I’m lazy, but also partly because I have PTSD from an earlier attempt to paint this type terrain with a brush.  Some masochists do though!

I’m also a recent convert to dry pigments, and the furnace has a mix of Vallejo Pigments Rust and Burnt Umber, applied liberally around anything rusty, and onto the metallic areas.

IMG_0780.jpg

All up it took about three hours, half of which was spent cleaning the airbrush.  Even then, it’s still about a million times more fun than using a regular brush.  Really.

I haven’t completed the furnace roof yet, so I put the base of an alchomite stack on top for the pic.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s