A couple of small shots of the Oiler’s main stars. Still a little blunt, but they’ll do. One of the guys in my league called them “the cutest centaurs he’s ever seen” which I suppose is a sort of backhanded compliment. I like them because they’re still recognisable against the blockers and you don’t need to use an ungainly prone marker when they get knocked down.
I’m not sure why I find converting miniatures as daunting a prospect as I do because it never turns out to be as difficult as I expect. Maybe its the fear of hack-sawing a precious miniature to death. I’m glad to say that all sacrifices (dwarf legs and boar heads) were made for the greater good, in this case these two boar centaurs that turned out rather well in my estimation.
The ‘apron’ pieces which serve to mask my novice level green stuff work are from Maximini.
Now, on with the painting.
So, I made a bull centaur out of Zoat and Chaos Warrior parts a while back that I’m pretty happy with – except that he’s too large. Nothing compared to the Meiko team that will likely be a 3d jigsaw to just to fit them onto line of scrimmage, but still too large for the compact 2nd ed Chaos Dwarves that I’m running. He will make an excellent Hthark the Unstoppable star player though, so not discarded completely.
The gold standard for this set of minis has long been carried by a Danish guy named Horekim, who has a neat blog called Lead Under the Bed. He’s kindly posted the recipe he used to create these excellent
Bull Boar Centaurs out of old WHFB boars. Never one to re-invent a perfectly good wheel I plan on doing much the same, although I might try some extra green stuff armour plating – something I may be able to tear off quickly if it looks rubbish.